Monday, April 26, 2010

3 Tidbits from the Children's Writers Bootcamp with Laura Backes and Linda Arms White; Charlotte NC

I went to a Children's Writers Bootcamp and it was awesome. I had such a fabulous weekend! I met over 20 fellow writers. I learned a lot. I was reminded of a lot. I said, "Yes, yes," and "Oh, yeah..." a lot. I got another idea for a new book. I developed one of my current ideas much further. I was inspired. Here are some of the tidbits that I learned.

Writer Tidbits || author advice | writing tips | conference notes | author wisdom | Don't quit your day job

Tidbit #1

Real writers write. And don't stop writing. Can't stop writing. We read. We write. And we always continue to do both, consistently and persistently. Persistence does pay off.

Tidbit #2

Jane Yolen has said that she could live off of her writing...but not until her 60th book, Owl Moon, won a prestigious award, her first award, 26 years after her first book, Pirates in Petticoats, was sold at age 22.

Tidbit #3

In other words, don't quit your day job, right? But I know at least 2 writers who have quit their GOOD day jobs to pursue the dream of writing full time and even making money with it. I, too, aspire to this writing dream. And one day I WILL be able to live off of my writing. But for now, let's just say I'm not quitting my day job.

Being with other writers, even in the virtual world, is very inspiring and energy-boosting. More tidbits and writerly wisdom to follow.

Keep on keepin' on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...