Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Story Element #3: Plot (Frida)

I have created a mock-up site for my web design company. It's coming along nicely. I'm so excited. Looking forward to sharing with the world and opening my doors for business. Can't wait to share - I'm driving myself crazy with anticipation! But first I need more practice - after I finish all my classes. Hopefully early next year I can unveil the long awaited venture. Later this year, I might share a sneak peek...

Today's book for my BOOK LOVE challenge (Feb. 14 - Feb. 28) is...
Frida

Author: Jonah Winter
Illustrator: Ana Juan
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Year: 2002
Word Count: 447

Summary: "This is the story of Mexican artist Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo, and how painting saved her life."

Jacket Flap: "Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo was born in Mexico in 1907. This is the story of how she learned to paint, how painting saved her life, and why her paintings are like no one else's. Like Frida's art, it is a work of the imagination, but it is also true."

Plot. Character. Conflict. It all works together. If you remember the first post on plot, we discussed the rising action, plot points, falling action, and the like. Today's book is very short. I'll try my best to map it out. Remember, the five main parts: exposition, rising action (and conflict), climax, falling action, and resolution. 

Exposition
Frida is born in Mexico. Her "father is an artist and a photographer." Her mother takes care of the children.

Rising Action
Somebody: Frida
Wanted: to not feel lonely (even though she had 5 sisters)
But: she didn't have any friends
So: she made up an imaginary friend, also named Frida
Then: she got sick and stayed sick for months
Conflict
She wanted to not be lonely.
But her imaginary friend couldn't even cheer her up.
So she taught herself how to draw to keep from being sad.
Then she gets well and learns to paint.

More Rising Action and Conflict
She wanted to study science.
But school is too easy and boring.
So she goes home,
But gets in an accident.
Then in the hospital, painting saves her again.

Climax
After she is better, she wants to walk.
But she has to use a cane.
So she doesn't cry or complain.
Then she paints pictures instead.

Falling Action
She wants to leave her bed,
but she has a cast on.
So she paints on the cast.
Then she travels anywhere and everywhere with her imagination.

Resolution
"She turns her pain into something beautiful. It is like a miracle."

TODAY'S LESSON:
If you're a 12x12'er, use this month's draft you're working on. Take a look at the plot, and ask yourself if it's nice and easy or if you've placed enough roadblock BUTs in the MC's way. If not, get creative and add a few more.

TODAY'S QUESTION:
What do you do to deal with pain? Does it depend on the type of pain? Do you have a low or high tolerance? Physically, emotionally?

Things that help me: music, writing, reading, talking, praying, and running. Even during child birth. No epidural here. But I do have a low tolerance for physical and emotional pain. Sometimes I'll break down and take an ibuprofen - for certain physical pains. Keep on keepin' on...

2 comments:

  1. Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post a week ago, and it has really stuck in my head!

    I keep chanting "Somebody, Wanted, But, So, Then!" as I summarize picture books. So helpful!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...