Saturday, April 5, 2014

Writers Who Run: Our Mantra

RACE DAY IS HERE. #CRBR is twitter lingo for Cooper River Bridge Run, which is in Charleston, SC. They happen to share the same mantra I've been using for a long time: "You don't have to go fast. You don't have to go far. You just have to show up!" Anyway, 6.2 miles, here I come.

Running mantra: You don't have to go fast. || Just do it. | writers who run

There's something uniquely thrilling about being among 40,000 people with the same goal - in person. To run a race and cross the finish line. I can already feel the adrenaline swelling within. If you've never tried it, start out with a local 5k. That was my first race. And then I went straight to a full marathon, 26.2 miles. And now I'm hooked. Even though lately, I might only get in 1-2 runs a week. At least it's not ZERO.

Running a race is the equivalent of attending a writer's conference. So many like-minded individuals sharing the same dream, sidled up next to each other to soak in the wisdom of those who have gone before. Imagine. A writer's retreat AND a race, rolled into one event. It's coming. For Writers Who Run.

But today, I run. And hope to not be in too much pain afterwards (and during). I do see ice packs on the horizon. Catch you next week, in a book, on the road, or somewhere in between.

What are YOU going to do this weekend?

Keep on keepin' on...

4 comments:

  1. Have a great race, Christie! I am intrigued by your teaser for Writers Who Run coming in 2016. Ooh, the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran the race in about an hour and 20 minutes. Haven't checked the official time yet. It seems like every year I get slower. But still, that's pretty good considering I hurt my knee a few weeks ago and then later my back. But I'm all in one piece. Suspense is good though, right Romelle?

      Delete
  2. As a volunteer for our regional SCBWI conference, I was on duty from 7:00 am to late evening. Tomorrow I will rest up. Great conference. Very tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which one was it, Rosi? I love conferences. Hope you rest up faster than me. I'm pretty sore, but still looking forward to my next run.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...